It’s that time again. This is the time of year that I crave cold salads with crunchy veggies. Fresh Broccoli is one of my favorite crunchy vegetables, so I made a pasta salad with it and my new favorite homemade dressing. This Broccoli Pasta salad features a homemade tomato vinaigrette with savory red onions and nutty sunflower seeds. It also includes feta cheese and creamy-salty Feta. This combination of flavor and texture is simply magical!
Because the pasta’s tiny crevices grab onto the dressing, I used rotini pasta to make this salad. It adds a lot of flavor and texture. You could also make a penne or bowtie or an orecchiette. The nutty flavors of whole wheat pasta would go well with this salad.
SALAD DRESSING OPTIONS
This recipe includes a homemade tomato vinaigrette. However, if you don’t like tomatoes, you can substitute them with a simple Italian dressing or a champagne vinaigrette. I prefer light, tangy dressings.
Is THE BROCCOLI RAW?
The last time I posted a recipe for raw broccoli salad, many people were shocked that it was possible (or even desirable) to eat raw Broccoli. This salad contains raw Broccoli. Raw Broccoli can be deliciously crunchy, but it has a different flavor than cooked Broccoli. To give the salad a more flavorful boost, I recommend roasted Broccoli.
BROCCOLI PASTA SALAD WITH TOMATO VINAIGRETTE
This Broccoli Pasta Salsa includes a homemade vinaigrette and nutty sunflower seed. It also has creamy-salty Feta.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
TOMATO BASIL VINAIGRETTE
- 1 tbsp tomato paste ($0.05)
- 2 Tbsp red vinegar ($0.20).
- 1/2 tsp dried Basil ($0.05)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp sugar ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper ($0.02)
- 6 Tbsp olive oil ($0.96)
- 1/2 lb. rotini pasta ($0.38)
- 1 lb. Broccoli ($0.89)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion ($0.16)
- 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds ($0.25)
- 4 oz. Feta ($1.65)
- First, prepare the vinaigrette. Whisk together the red wine vinegar, tomato paste, garlic powder, and sugar in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Start to incorporate the olive oil one tablespoon at a while. Leave the vinaigrette to rest.
- Follow the package instructions to cook the rotini pasta. Boil the pasta for 7-10 minutes or until it is tender. The pasta should be drained in a colander. To cool the pasta, rinse it briefly in cold water. Drain well.
- Cut the broccoli stems while the pasta is cooking. Then, chop the florets into small pieces. Finely chop the red onion.
- Transfer the pasta to a large bowl once it has been drained. Mix in the chopped red onion, Broccoli, and sunflower seeds. Sprinkle the Feta on top. Toss all ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Serve immediately, or let cool in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat.
Serving Size: 1.5 cups Calories 576.05 Kcal Carbohydrates 56.45 G Protein: 16.78 G Fat: 32.9g Sodium 575.15 mg Fiber 6.38 g