This Scallion Herb Chickpea Salsa is light, bright and filling. The dressing is creamy but light and bursting with vibrant fresh flavors. The salad can be made quickly and stored in the fridge for several days. A lighter, easier take on classic American potato salad, this version uses canned chickpeas instead of potatoes and favors Greek yogurt over mayonnaise. The trick to achieving the creamy texture of traditional potato salad is to mash some of the chickpeas lightly with a fork. It travels well and deserves a spot at your next picnic or desk lunch. This makes it great for meal prep.
A CREAMY DRESS WITHOUT MAYO? YES!
This mayo-free dressing is so creamy and light that I love it. The dressing is creamy thanks to the avocado, and the Greek yogurt makes it lighter than traditional mayonnaise-based dressings. The salad is flavored with lemon juice and fresh herbs. I was so impressed by the taste that I ate half of the test batch. It’s a win, considering the list of healthy, gold-star ingredients. 😉
HOW TO SERVE SCALLION HEB CHICKPEA SALAD
This recipe is for the chickpea sandwich only. There are many ways to serve this salad. You can serve it on a bed of greens like actual lettuce in a pita or wrap it in a tortilla. Or, you can pile it between two slices of bread like in the photos. You have the option.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth, add the dill and Parsley and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl, and using a fork, lightly mash about 1/3 of them. Add the celery and scallions and toss.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss well, and set aside at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with more dill and Parsley, and serve. (If you’re not serving the dish immediately, you can store it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.)
SCALLION HERB CHICKPEA SANTA REDUCED
This Scallion Herb Chickpea Salsa is light, bright, and full of spring flavors. It will keep you satisfied all afternoon. Use it as a sandwich, wrap, salad, or side dish!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- 1 avocado ($0.79)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt ($0.44)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice ($0.04)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Parsley ($0.25)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro ($0.20).
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions (about 2 pieces) ($0.23)
- 1 15oz. Can chickpeas ($0.49)
- In a bowl, combine the yogurt, lemon juice and salt. Mix all ingredients until well combined. It’s fine if the avocado remains a little chunky.
- Add the chickpeas to the bowl with avocado dressing. Drain the can. Mix the chickpeas with the dressing. Salt to taste.
- The salad can be served on a bed of greens with two slices of bread or wrapped in tortillas.
Serving Size: 1.5 Cups Calories: 415.85 Kilocalories: 49.5 G Protein: 17.7g Fat: 19g Sodium: 702.9 mg Fiber: 18.9g