You know me well enough to know that I keep some tomato paste in my freezer. Haha. Today I’m going to show you a great way to use those tiny cans of tomato paste. This Tomato Basil Vinaigrette is super easy to make and tastes amazing. It can be used over pasta and salad.
CHANGE THE OIL TO YOUR LIKE
Making your salad dressing is a great way to customize the taste of your dish. You can add oil to this dressing a little at a time. You can always stop if you don’t feel like adding six tablespoons. If you like your vinaigrette to be tart, you can add some red wine vinegar.
FRESH BASIL: CAN I USE IT?
Yes, absolutely! Yes, absolutely! Chop the Basil finely and mix it in. About a tablespoon of chopped fresh Basil would be enough.
HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?
Your tomato basil vinaigrette should be kept in the fridge. Although I don’t recommend keeping homemade vinaigrettes in the fridge for more than five days, your mileage may vary.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TOMATO VINAIGRETTE
The tomato basil vinaigrette can be used on any green salad. However, it is also great poured over fresh mozzarella and tomato slices. This dressing is great for fresh vegetable salads. It also tastes great on pasta salads (see my Broccoli Pasta Salad With Tomato Vinaigrette). This dressing was so good that I would happily use it as a dip to eat a piece of French bread.
I’ve also got tons of Basil from my garden right now, which makes me love this recipe even more!
I also love that you can use pretty much any variety of tomato in this vinaigrette (don’t worry about chopping cherry tomatoes beforehand).
And this condiment is a great way to use tomatoes that are a little too ripe to eat but still good.
This vinaigrette is fabulous on a green salad, but it’s also a great dressing for a pasta salad and a wonderful topping for grilled chicken.
TOMATO BASIL VINAIGRETTE
This sweet and tangy tomato basil vinaigrette is easy to make and can be used over pasta or salad.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Servings: 2 Tbsp per person
- 1 tbsp tomato paste ($0.05)
- 2 Tbsp red vinegar ($0.20).
- 1/2 tsp dried Basil ($0.05)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp sugar ($0.02)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper ($0.02)
- 6 Tbsp olive oil ($0.96)
- Mix the red wine vinegar, tomato paste, Basil, garlic powder, and sugar. Whisk or blend until smooth.
- Start by adding the olive oil one tablespoon at a while. Make sure you incorporate it all before adding more. This will allow the oil to mix into the tomato mixture and create a smooth dressing. Although the dressing will separate as it sits, a quick whisk before you drizzle it over your salad will make it thicker.
Serving: 2 Tbsp Calories 191.33 kcal Carbohydrates 1.23 g Protein 0.25 g Fat 21.03 G Sodium: 210.53mg Fiber 0.28 g