When I made my Rosemary Garlic White Bean Soup this week, I made a small batch of these quick-baked homemade croutons. I thought, “I really should share how easy these are.” They’re also a great use for leftover bread. Win-win!
HOW TO USE HOMEMADE CROUTONS
Croutons make a great addition to any salad. However, they can also be used in thick soups such as Tomato Soup or Split Pea Soup, Rosemary Garlic White Bean Soup and Smoky Potato & Chickpea Stew.
You can also crumble croutons and use them as a topping for pasta (a non-dairy substitute to Parmesan), crush them and use them as a breading for meat and fish in place of panko or regular breadcrumbs.
How to Flavor CROUTONS
This recipe is for basic garlic herb homemade Croutons. However, I think they are great even when only seasoned with salt. Other seasoning options include:
- Grated Parmesan
- Cajun seasoning
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- Garlic herb seasoning
- Rosemary, pepper (fresh rosemary works best here, chopped finely).
- Ranch seasoning
What kind of bread is best for CROUTONS
For homemade croutons, you will need a bread that is sturdy, crusty, and dense. A light, airy bread like white sandwich bread will not be able to create a crouton. Instead of being crunchy, it will melt in your mouth and taste like cotton candy.
Croutons can be made from fresh bread, or they can go stale. It’s a great way to use the last loaf of bread you have left.
HOW TO STORE
This recipe made a small batch, containing only 3-4 cups or 4 servings. Homemade croutons taste best when freshly made. You can store any leftover croutons after they have cooled. However, they will go rancid a lot faster than store-bought croutons. This is due to a variety of factors. You can freeze homemade croutons to extend their shelf-life (also in an airtight container).
EASY HOMEMADE CROUTONS
Croutons can be made at home and are super simple to make. Their crispy texture elevates any soup or salad to the next level. There are only five ingredients
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 17 minutes
Serving size: About 3/4 cup per person
- 4 slices of sturdy bread ($0.33)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil ($0.32)
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning mix ($0.03)
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder ($0.02)
- 1/8 tsp salt ($0.01)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400oF Cut the bread into half-inch cubes. There should be approximately 4 cups of bread cubes that are loosely packed.
- The cubed bread should be placed in a large bowl. Drizzle the olive oil on top. You can use a spatula, or your hands, to gently toss the bread pieces until they are well coated with oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the Italian seasoning mix, garlic powder, and salt, and then sprinkle the mixture on top of the bread cubes. Toss the bread cubes until evenly coated with seasoning.
- Place the bread on a baking sheet. Bake the bread for 10 minutes in the oven. Check the bread’s colour every five minutes. To achieve a deep golden brown colour, stir the croutons. Allow the croutons to cool down before you serve them.
*The time it takes to cook bread can vary depending on its density and moisture level (stale or fresh). Make sure you check the croutons every five mins.
Calories: 134.93 Kcal Carbohydrates are 14.08 g Protein is 2.78 g Fat 7.55 g Sodium 252.93 mg Fiber is 0.6 g